Friday, May 29, 2009

"I'm going to marry the first man who asks me to go fishing..."

...and I did. So the story goes that the first time I had my heart broken (I was 22 ... remember, I'm a late joiner) I asked the boy who broke it, "Why do you want to break up?" His answer was that we didn't have anything much in common, that I didn't like to do the same things he liked to do. "Such as what?!" I asked. He answered, "You don't like to fish". (You can see this was a deep relationship). So I said to him, "You've never even asked me to go fishing!" But alas, that was the end of that, and I eventually moved on but I never forgot the unfairness of it all (a girl in her twenties has a long and unforgiving memory). So the joke became that I would marry the first man to ask me to go fishing with him. 

Fast-forward 16 or so years, I meet W. and he is an avid fisherman. You can guess the rest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment