Wednesday, June 3, 2009

That man needs a daughter!


Walt and my first date was February 13, 2003, a week after we first met (through a mutual friend at an advertising club event). We went to a little Italian restaurant on Water Street in the 3rd Ward of Milwaukee, just a few steps from the restaurant where we were introduced. He brought me, tied to a small box of chocolates,  the top five list on what singles do on Valentines Day, cut out from the Onion, included in the list were "walk slowly and deliberately into the sea" and my personal favorite,  "clean up cat vomit". This was a guy with my kind of sense of humor.  

After our third date we were pretty much inseparable. He quickly became my very best friend and I can't think of anyone I'd rather spend time with. 

I knew I had fallen in love with him just over a month after that first date, when we were visiting his family in Chicago the weekend before St. Patrick's day. One of the nights there we were at a family party and I watched Walt from across the room with his great-niece. He was so good with her, and sweet to her. She was probably just two or three years old at the time and I remember thinking to myself, "that man needs a daughter." Later that night we talked about our future and a family together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment